Thursday, July 16, 2009

Why is the FCC so interested in my Pool Light?

I recently purchased a floating pool light for some nighttime swimming fun. As I put my three AA batteries in, I noticed a sticker stating the following:
“This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.”
I had no idea this tiny plastic globe with mini colored light bulbs would initiate FCC concern to the level of requiring a written statement of compliance.
The global RF feed is so important to Congress that the most insignificant electronics must be regulated to ensure the feed is not interfered with? What data is being transmitted that is so sensitive that my pool light needs to be tested and approved? I find it hard to believe that Congress is legitimately concerned that my pool light might annoy my next-door neighbor by causing a fuzzy season finale of The Biggest Loser.
What data is truly being transmitted through his V-Chip while he watches? Whatever it is, it must be really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment